What is involved in IBM i
Find out what the related areas are that IBM i connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a IBM i thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its IBM InfoSphere DataStage journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward IBM InfoSphere DataStage leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which IBM i related domains to cover and 131 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
IBM i, Apache web server, Auxiliary storage pool, Closed source, Control Program Facility, DOS/360 and successors, General availability release, IBM 4680 OS, IBM 4690 OS, IBM 7090/94 IBSYS, IBM 8100 DPCX, IBM AIX, IBM Academic Operating System, IBM Airline Control Program, IBM DB2, IBM DPPX, IBM PC DOS, IBM Power Systems, IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program, IBM System/36, IBM System/38, IBM System i, IBM Workplace OS, Linux on z Systems, Logical partition, Microsoft Windows, MySQL AB, OS/360 and successors, Operating system, Project Monterey, Project Trillian, Proprietary software, Single-level store, Software developer, Software license, Software release life cycle, Transaction Processing Facility, Virtual machine, WebSphere Application Server, Web application framework, Zend Technologies:
IBM i Critical Criteria:
Track IBM i decisions and finalize the present value of growth of IBM i.
– Does IBM i systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom IBM i project?
– What are the Essentials of Internal IBM i Management?
Apache web server Critical Criteria:
Frame Apache web server planning and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Apache web server.
– Will IBM i have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Do we know what we have specified in continuity of operations plans and disaster recovery plans?
– How can the value of IBM i be defined?
– What about IBM i Analysis of results?
Auxiliary storage pool Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Auxiliary storage pool failures and explore and align the progress in Auxiliary storage pool.
– In the case of a IBM i project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a IBM i project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any IBM i project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in IBM i?
– Why are IBM i skills important?
Closed source Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Closed source outcomes and don’t overlook the obvious.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding IBM i?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the IBM i requirements in detail?
– How to Secure IBM i?
Control Program Facility Critical Criteria:
Debate over Control Program Facility strategies and oversee Control Program Facility management by competencies.
– How do we Identify specific IBM i investment and emerging trends?
– Does our organization need more IBM i education?
– What are the business goals IBM i is aiming to achieve?
DOS/360 and successors Critical Criteria:
Consult on DOS/360 and successors outcomes and forecast involvement of future DOS/360 and successors projects in development.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the IBM i process?
– Is Supporting IBM i documentation required?
– Have all basic functions of IBM i been defined?
General availability release Critical Criteria:
Discuss General availability release decisions and check on ways to get started with General availability release.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once IBM i is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– In what ways are IBM i vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– How do we maintain IBM is Integrity?
IBM 4680 OS Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize IBM 4680 OS outcomes and find the essential reading for IBM 4680 OS researchers.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of IBM i into the services that we provide?
– To what extent does management recognize IBM i as a tool to increase the results?
IBM 4690 OS Critical Criteria:
Devise IBM 4690 OS tasks and find the essential reading for IBM 4690 OS researchers.
– How will you measure your IBM i effectiveness?
– What are current IBM i Paradigms?
– How do we keep improving IBM i?
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze IBM 7090/94 IBSYS quality and define IBM 7090/94 IBSYS competency-based leadership.
– Does IBM i create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What is Effective IBM i?
IBM 8100 DPCX Critical Criteria:
Reason over IBM 8100 DPCX decisions and point out improvements in IBM 8100 DPCX.
– Among the IBM i product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
IBM AIX Critical Criteria:
Administer IBM AIX projects and forecast involvement of future IBM AIX projects in development.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to IBM i?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your IBM i activities?
– What are the long-term IBM i goals?
IBM Academic Operating System Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about IBM Academic Operating System projects and adopt an insight outlook.
– Which IBM i goals are the most important?
– Does IBM i appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– Is the scope of IBM i defined?
IBM Airline Control Program Critical Criteria:
Model after IBM Airline Control Program leadership and find out what it really means.
– What are internal and external IBM i relations?
– How can you measure IBM i in a systematic way?
– Are there IBM i Models?
IBM DB2 Critical Criteria:
Pilot IBM DB2 tactics and reduce IBM DB2 costs.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about IBM i. How do we gain traction?
– How do we manage IBM i Knowledge Management (KM)?
IBM DPPX Critical Criteria:
Interpolate IBM DPPX planning and correct IBM DPPX management by competencies.
– Think about the functions involved in your IBM i project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing IBM i? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Does IBM i analysis show the relationships among important IBM i factors?
IBM PC DOS Critical Criteria:
Own IBM PC DOS issues and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging IBM PC DOS.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your IBM i processes?
– Do IBM i rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
IBM Power Systems Critical Criteria:
Graph IBM Power Systems tasks and probe the present value of growth of IBM Power Systems.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your IBM i strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What vendors make products that address the IBM i needs?
IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program quality and drive action.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that IBM i objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good IBM i project manager?
IBM System/36 Critical Criteria:
Reason over IBM System/36 tactics and probe using an integrated framework to make sure IBM System/36 is getting what it needs.
– How can you negotiate IBM i successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
IBM System/38 Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on IBM System/38 projects and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive IBM System/38 decisions.
– What are all of our IBM i domains and what do they do?
– Who will provide the final approval of IBM i deliverables?
IBM System i Critical Criteria:
Analyze IBM System i risks and develop and take control of the IBM System i initiative.
– How do we know that any IBM i analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Will IBM i deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– How do we go about Comparing IBM i approaches/solutions?
IBM Workplace OS Critical Criteria:
Inquire about IBM Workplace OS quality and cater for concise IBM Workplace OS education.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if IBM i does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Have you identified your IBM i key performance indicators?
Linux on z Systems Critical Criteria:
Derive from Linux on z Systems issues and revise understanding of Linux on z Systems architectures.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a IBM i process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the IBM i process available?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing IBM i?
Logical partition Critical Criteria:
Own Logical partition issues and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with IBM i ?
– Is IBM i Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– Why is IBM i important for you now?
Microsoft Windows Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Microsoft Windows projects and gather Microsoft Windows models .
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the IBM i process?
– Is IBM i dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– What is our IBM i Strategy?
MySQL AB Critical Criteria:
Define MySQL AB tactics and devise MySQL AB key steps.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for IBM i strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Why should we adopt a IBM i framework?
OS/360 and successors Critical Criteria:
Investigate OS/360 and successors engagements and find the essential reading for OS/360 and successors researchers.
Operating system Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Operating system tactics and get going.
– If the firewall runs on an individual host for which all users are not trusted system administrators, how vulnerable is it to tampering by a user logged into the operating system running on the protected hosts?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– Can we add value to the current IBM i decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– What operating systems are used for student computers, devices, laptops, etc.?
– What is the source of the strategies for IBM i strengthening and reform?
– What operating system does your computer use?
– Is unauthorized access to operating systems prevented?
Project Monterey Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Project Monterey adoptions and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Project Monterey.
Project Trillian Critical Criteria:
Check Project Trillian failures and tour deciding if Project Trillian progress is made.
Proprietary software Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Proprietary software quality and ask what if.
Single-level store Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Single-level store planning and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Single-level store.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a IBM i study?
– What business benefits will IBM i goals deliver if achieved?
Software developer Critical Criteria:
Map Software developer leadership and innovate what needs to be done with Software developer.
– Pick an experienced Unix software developer, show him all the algorithms and ask him which one he likes the best?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective IBM i leader?
– When a IBM i manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Software license Critical Criteria:
Check Software license adoptions and stake your claim.
– What implementation technologies/resources (e.g., programming languages, development platforms, software licenses) does the provider support?
– Is our software usage in compliance with software license agreements?
– Are there IBM i problems defined?
Software release life cycle Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Software release life cycle risks and assess and formulate effective operational and Software release life cycle strategies.
– What are the usability implications of IBM i actions?
– Who needs to know about IBM i ?
Transaction Processing Facility Critical Criteria:
Jump start Transaction Processing Facility tactics and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– What potential environmental factors impact the IBM i effort?
Virtual machine Critical Criteria:
See the value of Virtual machine tactics and explain and analyze the challenges of Virtual machine.
– Can your application be packaged into a virtual machine (vm) instance and run on cloud infrastructure or does it need specialized hardware and/or special access to hardware that the aws cloud cannot provide?
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– Does the provider utilize Network Access Control based enforcement for continuous monitoring of its virtual machine population and virtual machine sprawl prevention?
– What types of resources (e.g., virtual machines, storage space, development environments) does the provider offer as part of each of its service models?
– What are the key elements of your IBM i performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– An administrator wants to install a guest os on a newly created virtual machine. what enables the administrator to perform the installation?
– What is a limitation of using a backup agent on a hypervisor when backing up virtual machine (vm) data?
– What enables a virtual machine to be portable across physical machines running the same hypervisor?
– Which technique can be used to cluster a virtual machine with a physical machine?
– How many virtual machines are to be protected by the disaster recovery solution?
– What is the basis for determining the size of the virtual machine swap file?
– What enables a virtual machine to directly access luns in a storage system?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed IBM i opportunities costing us money?
– What makes it possible to store virtual machine files on a nas device?
– What is a feature of virtual machine file system (vmfs)?
– What threat is IBM i addressing?
WebSphere Application Server Critical Criteria:
Prioritize WebSphere Application Server outcomes and find answers.
– How do we measure improved IBM i service perception, and satisfaction?
Web application framework Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Web application framework outcomes and create Web application framework explanations for all managers.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of IBM i moving forward?
Zend Technologies Critical Criteria:
Detail Zend Technologies projects and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Zend Technologies results.
– How to deal with IBM i Changes?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the IBM InfoSphere DataStage Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
IBM i External links:
IBM i – Mid-Sized Business Paper
ad · www.ibm.com/PowerOS/IBMi
Apache web server External links:
How to Install the Apache Web Server on a Windows PC
5 Tips to Boost the Performance of Your Apache Web Server
Best Practices: Apache Web Server | Make IT Safe
Auxiliary storage pool External links:
IASP means Independent Auxiliary Storage Pool – All …
Closed source External links:
[PDF]Closed source scripted title objects – SoftLab-NSK
Open Source vs. Closed Source Software – Associate Degrees
Control Program Facility External links:
CPF abbreviation stands for Control Program Facility
DOS/360 and successors External links:
DOS/360 and Successors: Operating system, IBM mainframe, IBM, Virtual memory, System/370, x86, DOS 68 OS/360: Amazon.es: Frederic P Miller, Agnes F …
Amazon.fr – DOS/360 and Successors: Operating system, …
DOS/360 and successors | Revolvy
www.revolvy.com/topic/DOS/360 and successors
IBM 4690 OS External links:
IBM 4690 OS User’s Guide Version 4 Release 1 (SC30-4050 …
Open Object Rexx / Patches / #93 Support IBM 4690 OS FTP
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS External links:
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS – Revolvy
www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=IBM 7090/94 IBSYS
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge …
IBM 8100 DPCX External links:
IBM 8100 DPCX | IT History Society
IBM AIX External links:
CIS IBM AIX Benchmark – CIS Center for Internet Security
IBM AIX OS levels supported by XL Compilers – United States
IBM Airline Control Program External links:
IBM Airline Control Program – Revolvy
broom02.revolvy.com/topic/IBM Airline Control Program
Ibm Airline Control Program – TheInfoList.com
theinfolist.com/php/HTMLGet.php?FindGo=Ibm Airline Control Program
IBM DB2 External links:
Toad for IBM DB2 LUW – Quest
How to install IBM db2 ODBC driver in Windows 7 – 64 bit?
IBM PC DOS External links:
Museu dos Jogos – Golden Axe – IBM PC DOS (1990) – YouTube
IBM Power Systems External links:
IBM Power Systems & AS400 Hosting – Infor & High Availability
IBM Power Systems Career Center Home
IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program External links:
IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program – snipview.com
IBM System/36 External links:
MBMA Corporation | IBM System/36 Consulting
IBM System/36 Environment: Maximum Descriptions – …
IBM System/36 Environment and Printing – United States
IBM System/38 External links:
IBM System/38 Utilities for IBM i – United States
IBM System/38 Reference Code 5381/5382 – Internet Archive
IBM Archives: IBM System/38
IBM System i External links:
IBM System i support: How to enable cookies
Data Transfer from an IBM System i System Walk-Through
Working with IBM System i Navigator – YouTube
IBM Workplace OS External links:
IBM Workplace OS – TU Dresden
IBM Workplace OS – topics.revolvy.com
topics.revolvy.com/topic/IBM Workplace OS&item_type=topic
Linux on z Systems External links:
Linux on z Systems Customer Council (Jersey City, NJ) | Meetup
Logical partition External links:
What is logical partition (LPAR)? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Microsoft Windows External links:
Creating a Password Reset Disk in Microsoft Windows Vista
MySQL AB External links:
OS/360 and successors External links:
OS/360 and successors – Sussle
OS/360 and successors – Local Business | Facebook
OS/360 and successors – 21pw.com
Operating system External links:
Operating System and Browser warning
Find Out Which Operating System Is on My Computer …
Which Windows operating system am I running? – Windows …
Project Trillian External links:
Project Trillian – Revolvy
Proprietary software External links:
What is Proprietary Software? – Definition from Techopedia
Proprietary Software for Free | USC Spatial Sciences Institute
Software developer External links:
Title Software Developer Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Software Developer – Department of Revenue
Software Developer | Internal Revenue Service
Software license External links:
Microsoft Software License Terms
QuickBooks Terms of Service & Software License Agreement
Legal – Software License Agreements – Apple
Software release life cycle External links:
Software release life cycle | Ksbriian Public Space
Software release life cycle | 9to5Mac
Skill Pages – Software release life cycle | Dice.com
Transaction Processing Facility External links:
IBM z/Transaction Processing Facility
IBM z/Transaction Processing Facility
IBM z/Transaction Processing Facility
Virtual machine External links:
VMware vCenter Converter: P2V Virtual Machine Converter
Virtual Machine Licensing FAQ | Microsoft Azure
Virtual Machine Scale Sets | Microsoft Azure
WebSphere Application Server External links:
Disable Security in IBM WebSphere Application Server
WebSphere Application Server V126.96.36.199 – Welcome to Liberty
Web application framework External links:
Zend Technologies External links:
Zend Technologies Publishes to Online, Webhelp and Mobile
Zend Technologies | Headwaters MB
Zend Technologies :: Pearson VUE